If you have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence, it is not your fault and you're not alone. Your safety and wellbeing are the most important things right now and you can access specialist support, if and whenever you feel ready.

 University Support

  •  Speak to advisor.  A specialist advisor will get in touch to discuss your options with you and will be able to offer appropriate practical and emotional support tailored to your circumstances.  This is confidential and does not instigate any kind of formal reporting process. 
  • Counselling Service.  The Counselling Service offers confidential support to students and staff. 

External Support 

  • National Domestic Abuse Helpline  - 0808 2000 247 (24 hours). The helpline is a team of highly-trained, female advisers, who will empower you to understand your options and support you to make any decisions about the future. They can support you to increase your safety and help you find a refuge place, or other specialist services.
  • Refuge provides a wide range of support to women and children through a variety of different services. 
  • Pankhurst Trust (Manchester Women's Aid)  provides support for women and children in Manchester. 
  • Man Kind Initiative provides support for male victims of domestic violence. 
  • Men’s Advice Line provides support for male victims of domestic violence.
  • LGBT Foundation. The domestic abuse service offers support to individuals who are currently at risk of or who have previously experienced domestic abuse whether this is from a partner(s), expartner(s), or family member(s). The service is available for people who are living within the Greater Manchester area. 
  • Galop is an LGBT+ anti-violence charity who support people who have experienced hate crime, sexual violence or domestic abuse.  They also support lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people who have had problems with the police or have questions about the criminal justice system.

Reporting Options

  • Police. In an emergency or if you are in immediate danger you should dial 999.  Otherwise, you can call 101 or visit your local police station to report a crime.  Reporting is a big decision and all of the support services linked to above can support you with this, if you decide to make a police report. 
  • University. If the perpetrator is a member of the University community you will have the option of submitting a formal report. The first step to making a formal report is to speak with an advisor,  who will be able to provide you with advice and support on what options are available to make an informed decision. 

Self-Help Resources

  • Survivors Handbook 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened