Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities, and reporting them allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening.  

Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. This could be a disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture hate crime. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.


  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone).
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are scared or fearful you can call security on 0161 306 9966.
  • Text Support.  If you feel you need to talk to someone immediately you can contact Shout, a free 24/7 text service for anyone struggling to cope. TEXT Shout to 85258.
  • Manchester Safe Taxi Scheme. This scheme has been set up so that you can get home safely - if you don't have any cash, you can pay the fare the next day.
  • What is a hate crime?It might be useful to think about what hate crime is and how some of the behaviours are described.  



  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Harassment Support Advisor. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • Support Service. There a variety of internal and external support services that you might want to speak with.
  • Togetherall. It is a safe space online to get things off your chest, have conversations.

  • Students Union Advice Service. The University of Manchester Students' Union on Oxford Road is a hate crime reporting centre and a safe space where students and staff can report any hate incident or hate crime and speak to an advisor.
  • To the Police. If you want to report directly to the police you can call the Manchester City Council Race and Hate Crime Reporting Line on 08000 830 007 or contact them anonymously. 
  • Online.  If you do not wish to report directly to the police you can report it using this online form. 
  • Report and Support.  If you wish to report it to the University you can use the Report and Support Platform. You can choose to report something anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.
Get Support 

Mental Health and Wellbeing

  • Take care of yourself. It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Counselling Service offers confidential help and is open to both students and staff.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened