Sexual Assault or Rape

If you have experienced sexual assault or rape, there is no right or wrong way to feel or be. What has happened is not your fault and you're not alone. Your safety and wellbeing are the most important things right now and you can access specialist support, if and whenever you feel ready.

 University Support

  •  Speak to advisor.  A specialist advisor will get in touch to discuss your options with you and will be able to offer appropriate practical and emotional support tailored to your circumstances.  This is confidential and does not instigate any kind of formal reporting process. 
  • Counselling Service.  The Counselling Service offers confidential support to students and staff. 

External Support 

  • St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre Manchester. Saint Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to all genders living in the Greater Manchester area who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past. If you are not currently based in Manchester, you can find your local Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) by searching the NHS website. 
  • Manchester Rape Crisis (MRC) is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused. They will listen, without judgement and with respect, to what you have to say. Their staff are fully trained and experienced to hear and respond with knowledge and caring.
  • Survivors Manchester offers a range of services for men who have experienced sexual violence at any point in their lives. They are a survivor-led/survivor-run voluntary organisation that aims to create and facilitate a safe space for male survivors to work through personal and sometimes painful issues. 
  • Galop is an LGBT+ anti-violence charity who support people who have experienced hate crime, sexual violence or domestic abuse.  They also support lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people who have had problems with the police or have questions about the criminal justice system.

Reporting Options

It’s your choice. It's completely up to you whether or not to report what's happened. No-one else can or should make that choice for you. 

  • Police. In an emergency or if you are in immediate danger you should dial 999.  Otherwise, you can call 101 or visit your local police station to report a crime.  If you press 55, you'll be transferred to a call centre where an advisor will let you know you're connected. If you cannot speak, you'll again be asked to tap your phone, make a noise or press 55. The advisor will try to help you in a number of ways, so you do not feel under pressure to just do one thing. Reporting is a big decision and all of the support services linked to above can support you with this, if you decide to make a police report. 
  • University. If the perpetrator is a member of the University community you will have the option of submitting a formal report. The first step to making a formal report is to speak with an advisor,  who will be able to provide you with advice and support on what options are available to make an informed decision. 

Resources for Self Help

There is no right or wrong way to feel after an experience of sexual violence. It’s extremely important to prioritise your self-care and wellbeing. 

Free E-learning course with unlimited access 

A self help guide for survivors who want to understand and process their own personal reactions to their experience

A list of resources for survivors and supporters including self-help guides, videos, galleries and more.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened