It can be very distressing if you have been accused of bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, a hate crime or sexual assault.

The University will not make assumptions on the relative merits of a complaint.  No party will be considered ‘at fault’ until a complaint has been investigated.  All those involved in a complaint will be treated fairly and offered advice and support. Find out more on the University Policy.


It might be useful to think about some some of the behaviours that describe: 


  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.
  • Making a complaint. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.

Get Support  

For students and staff 

  • Harassment Support Advisors. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • Counselling Service. The University’s team of professional counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health workers offers confidential support.
  • Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team. The team provides advice, support and guidance on equality, diversity and inclusion related issues to students, academic advisors and other staff in student supporting roles.
  • The Mediation Service. The University's Mediation Service offers an alternative dispute resolution approach; it is confidential and can help resolve a disagreement or conflict, with a colleague in the work place or a fellow student.
  • The Disability Advisory Support Service.  The University’s dedicated disability advisors can provided advice, guidance, and support to staff and students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies.

For students

  • UoM Student Advice Team. If you are a student you can talk to your academic advisor, an advisor in your school or an advisor in the support centre in the Atrium on the first floor of University Place. 
  • UMSU Advice Service. This is a free and confidential service where students can get information and advice on personal and academic issues.  It is also a hate crime reporting centre.
  • Residential Life Advisors.  If you are a student in Halls, all of the residences have a team of ResLife Advisors (RLA’s) living in-house, which is made up of either postgraduate students or members of staff at the University. The team can provide an important source of guidance and support for students.

  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances.  An advisor in your school will be able to provide more information. 

For staff

  • Local Human Resource Contacts. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU.
  • Staff Network Groups. The University has a number of staff network groups. They are a fantastic way to network with people from all over the University, build contacts, share experiences, arrange events and socialise.  Many of the groups also offer confidential support and advisory services from their members to any member of staff.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened