If you think you or someone you know is being sexually assaulted there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  

For students and staff 

  • Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs). The UMSU Advice TeamSt Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) and Manchester Rape Crisis all have ISVAs who are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. Contact them and ask to speak to an advisor in confidence. ISVAs are there to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them.

For students

  • Your School. If you are a student you can talk to your academic adviser, or a support adviser in your school
  • Student Support and Advice. This University service offers support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. If you're not sure where to go, this is a good place to start. Find them in the Atrium on the first floor of University Place.
  • UMSU Advice Service. This is a free, confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on academic and personal issues, including advice on procedures and representation at hearings.  The Advice Service is also a hate crime reporting centre
  • Residential Life Advisors.  If you are a student in Halls, all of the residences have a team of ResLife Advisors (RLA’s) living in-house, which is made up of either postgraduate students or members of staff at the University. The team can be an important source of guidance and support for students.

  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances. An advisor in your school will be able to provide more information.

For staff

  • Local Human Resource Contacts. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU.
  • Staff Network Groups. The University has a number of staff network groups. They are a fantastic way to network with people from all over the University, build contacts, share experiences, arrange events and socialise.  Many of the groups also offer confidential support and advisory services from their members to any member of staff.

Other sources of support

  • Manchester Rape Crisis (MRC) is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused.
  • St. Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to men, women and children living in the Greater Manchester and Cheshire area who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past.
  • Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and queer people affected by sexual violence.
  • Survivors Manchester offers a range of services for men who have experienced sexual violence at any point in their lives.
  • The National Stalking Helpline can give you information and advice on support and options available to you.
  • Manchester Women’s Aid provides a range of services for people experiencing domestic violence including helpline, IDVA, outreach, and refuge.
  • MALE is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse.

There are two ways you can report something..