If you think you or someone you know has been bullied or harassed there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff. 

For students and staff 

  • Harassment Support Advisors. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • Counselling Service. The University’s team of professional counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health workers offers confidential support.
  • Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team. The team provides advice, support and guidance on equality, diversity and inclusion related issues to students, academic advisors and other staff in student-supporting roles.
  • The Mediation Service. The University's Mediation Service offers an alternative dispute resolution approach; it is confidential and can help resolve a disagreement or conflict, with a colleague in the work place or a fellow student.
  • The Disability Advisory Support Service.  The University’s dedicated disability advisors can provided advice, guidance, and support to staff and students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies.

For students

  • Your School. If you are a student you can talk to your academic adviser, or a support adviser in your school
  • Student Support and Advice.This University service offers support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. If you're not sure where to go, this is a good place to start. Find them in the Atrium on the first floor of University Place.
  • UMSU Advice Service. This is a free confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on academic and personal issues, including advice on procedures and representation at hearings.  The Advice Service is also a hate crime reporting centre
  • Residential Life Advisors.  If you are a student in Halls, all of the residences have a team of ResLife Advisors (RLA’s) living in-house, which is made up of either postgraduate students or members of staff at the University. The team can be an important source of guidance and support for students.
  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances. An advisor in your school will be able to provide more information.

For staff

  • Local Human Resource Contacts. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University Unison, Unite and UCU.
  • Staff Network Groups. The University has a number of staff network groups. They are a fantastic way to network with people from all over the University, build contacts, share experiences, arrange events and socialise.  Many of the groups also offer confidential support and advisory services from their members to any member of staff.

Other sources of support

  • Citizens Advice provides some information on bullying and harassment
  • Family Lives provides some information and advice on bullying at University 
  • The National Union of Students (NUS) has put together some top tips on how to deal with bullying in halls.
  • Young Minds has put together a blog on how to deal with bullying at University
  • Manchester LGBT Foundation has a number of groups covering a wide section of the LGBT community who meet at the Community Resource Centre on Richmond Street in Manchester. They provide a safe and comfortable environment for people who may feel isolated, are coming out or are new to the area.

If you would like to submit information on a support service you think might help others, please contact us with details by using the Talk To Us form in the top right hand corner.  


There are two ways you can tell us what happened